For hungry bellies & hot summer days! Let’s dive in!
Which Noodles To Use?
- Whole grain ramen are simply the perfect noodles in this Asian themed dinner. I stock up on the millet brown rice variety so i can always make my easy vegan ramen in miso coconut broth + now these to die for peanut noodles.
- Rice udon noodles, soba and even spaghetti could work fine here as well. Just take care not to overcook them, drain and rinse well with cold water to stop the cooking process and prevent them from sticking.
The Peanut Sauce:
I love the marriage of flavors between creamy peanut butter, freshly squeezed lime, salty tamari, grated fresh garlic and a little heat from chili flakes. All perfectly balanced with a little sweetness from maple syrup. Taste as you go and adjust everything to your tastebuds.
Red and green cabbage, crisp cucumbers, bell peppers and juicy tomatoes all bring their unique flavors and textures to the dish. However this is a recipe to build on, it really changes from day to day depending on what vegetables are having a moment.
I love adding sliced radishes into the mix and a handful of broccoli slaw if I have it in the fridge that day. Jicama makes a lovely crisp addition too, so get creative and feel free to experiment with some of your favorites here. Mung beans anyone?
Regardless of the veggies, if you have some peanut butter and a bag of ramen you have yourself an awesome dinner!
This fan favorite air fried tofu with just a pinch of sea salt and coated in tapioca will yield the perfect little protein bites to add to this salad. Reminiscent of a light tempura batter but oil free and actually good for you.
Can I Make Peanut Sauce Without Soy Sauce ?
Absolutely, you can use coco aminos instead of soy, just remember to adjust seasonings with a pinch of sea salt to your likeness.
Make it Spicy:
How to Make Vegan Peanut Noodles with Ramen & Tofu:
- Cook your noodles in advance, slice the veggies and mix up the sauce. Store in separate containers in the refrigerator, yes including the noodles and the sauce.
- When ready to assemble simply give the noodles a quick rinse under some warm water to separate them before combining with everything else.
- Cook the tofu so is fresh and crispy.
- Mix everything in a large bowl and drizzle with the peanut sauce over the top. Toss until all the ingredients are lusciously coated and enjoy sprinkled with sesame seeds. Follow the recipe instructions below for the step by step tutorial.
I’m not sure if these are Thai or Chinese noodle bowls, all I know is that they are some kind of delicious fusion you need to have in your life on a regular basis. What a fun way to get lots of fresh veggies in the belly. Let’s do this kids!
Vegan Peanut Noodles
- Air Fryer
Vegan Peanut Butter Sauce
Veggies & Herbs
Tofu & Noodles
- 14 oz block firm tofu organic non-gmo
- 1 tbsp tapioca
- sea salt to taste
- 8 oz brown rice ramen or soba noodles no seasonings
Make the Peanut Sauce:
- Whisk the peanut butter, tamari, lime juice, maple syrup, chili flakes and garlic until creamy and smooth. Adjust seasonings to your taste and refrigerate until needed.
Prepare the Tofu & Noodles:
- Drain the block of tofu and slice in half horizontally. Wrap both pieces in a tea towel and place on a plate with a heavy pot on top. Press for a couple of hours then cut tofu into one inch pieces or so. Pat as much of the moisture out as possible.
- Transfer the tofu cubes to a bowl and toss with a pinch of sea salt and the tapioca.
- Place each cube on a parchment lined air fryer tray without touching each other preferably. Air fry at 375” for 14 minutes. No need to flip them half way, we are just looking to get them a little crisp with a tempura like coating.
- Meanwhile cook the ramen noodles according to the instructions on the package. Take good care not to overcook them. Usually as soon as they separate from one another they should be ready to come out. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and prevent sticking.
Toss the Noodles:
- Add your sliced vegetables, herbs (reserve some for garnish), scallions and cooked ramen noodles to a large bowl together with the air fried tofu pieces. Drizzle with the peanut sauce over the top and toss well until lusciously coated all over. Serve sprinkled with the sesame seeds and garnish with some of the fresh basil and cilantro.