Easy creamy Vegan Ramen Noodles recipe with the ultimate miso coconut milk broth, air fried tofu cubes, wild mushrooms and a hit of lime. Finish with some fresh herbs or greens, a sprinkling of black sesame seeds or chili pepper for an extra spicy kick.
The best creamy vegan ramen noodles!
A noodle soup dish of Chinese origin that is now one of the most popular dishes in Japan and also my kitchen.
Because nothing beats slurping homemade ramen noodles out of a big bowl of steamy creamy broth while wrapped up in your favorite cozy blanket. True story you guys!
I started with a base of aromatics, the usual suspects as follows: onion, garlic and ginger, then kicked it up a notch with my homemade harissa and a dash of turmeric.
- You can sautee some sliced wild mushrooms together with your aromatics, or just add them to the broth with the noodles.
- Shiitake mushrooms with their umami flavor work perfectly here and are easy to find all year long. I had a few chanterelles leftover in the fridge so I had to make good use of those beauties instead, also you can never go wrong with a mix of oyster mushrooms.
Choosing the Vegan Ramen Noodles:
- Ideally we’d always have fresh organic noodles available on a Tuesday right? The reality is that most often than not I’m opening up a package of dried ramen I stocked up on while on sale. The brown rice millet variety you can find at Costco is actually great, the secret is to not overcook them.
- Occasionally I’ll come across an organic spelt ramen variety at Home Goods out of all places that are imported from Germany. Ironically they are the best dried ramen noodles I’ve ever had, go figure! All that being said, soba and zucchini noodles would work just fine here too. I say make use of what you have, right ?!
How to Make Homemade Creamy Miso Ramen Broth:
- Miso Baby – You simply can’t have a great bowl of ramen noodles without an amazing broth. This umami flavored, lusciously creamy miso and coconut based broth from scratch delivers in flavor like a boss. It’s super quick and easy to whip up by just whisking together a few simple ingredients. Remember this Miso Noodle Soup? Divine!
- Coconut Milk – Make sure to use the full fat canned variety, the unsweetened kind without any extra ingredients. The label should read just plain coconut milk or coconut + water. That’s how you get the magic of that luscious creaminess.
I air fried firm tofu cubes tossed in tapioca flour, however you can just add plain pressed tofu straight into the broth and it will absorb all those wonderful flavors. Or you can go with your favorite store bought marinated tofu slices like teriyaki or sriracha…whatever rocks your taste buds.
The Ramen Seasonings:
Throw out those super salty packets and just follow the recipe for a more delicious and healthier way to season your tofu bowls.
Healthy Ramen Toppings Ideas:
Bok Choy or Baby Spinach
Black Sesame Seeds
Red Chili Pepper
Toasted Seaweed / Nori
Steamed or Roasted Broccoli
Shredded Sauteed Cabbage
Bean Sprouts – Moyashi
Make Ahead Easy Ramen:
Everything can be made ahead including the noodles! The secret lies in storing them separately in glass containers in the fridge until ready to serve. The veggie miso broth can even be frozen up to three months on its own.
P.S. If you try this recipe please come back here to rate it, snap a quick photo and tag us with #VeggieSociety on Instagram. It totally makes my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
How to Make Creamy Vegan Ramen Noodles:
Easy Creamy Vegan Ramen Noodles
Easy creamy vegan ramen noodles recipe in a rich and creamy miso coconut milk broth, with air fried tofu cubes, wild mushrooms and a hit of lime.
Servings 4 people
- 1.5 - 2 cups veggie stock (hot)
- 2 tbsp chickpea miso (or your favorite white miso)
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger (or 1 tbsp fresh ginger root)
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce
- 2 tsp dulse flakes (OPTIONAL for umami flavor)
- 1/2 yellow onion -chopped
- 1.5 tbsp harissa (can be substituted with sriracha or other chili paste)
- 2 cloves garlic -minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (shiitakes caps, oyster or wild chanterelles)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 15 oz canned coconut milk (organic, no gum)
- 1 lime - quartered for serving
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 servings spelt or brown rice ramen noodles
- Sea salt + Black Pepper to taste
- 14 oz package organic firm tofu (drained and pressed well)
- 1/4 cup tapioca
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Scallions, Bok Choy or Spinach, Black Sesame Seeds, Red Chili Pepper, Toasted Seaweed / Nori, Steamed Broccoli, Shredded Cabbage, Sliced Sietan etc.
Air-Fry the Tofu (Optional)
- In a small bowl mix together the tapioca with paprika and sea salt. Cut the pressed tofu into small cubes and toss them to coat in the tapioca mix.Add them to the basket of an air-fryer (or parchment lined baking sheet) and air fry at 400”F for 12 minutes until golden, flipping them half way or shaking the basket/ tray a couple of times. Set aside until needed.
Make the Miso Broth:
- In a small bowl whisk together the hot veggie stock with the ginger, miso and tamari (+ dulse flakes if using). Set aside until needed.
Prepare the Creamy Ramen Broth:
- Preheat a medium soup pot over low flame and saute the onion in a drizzle of oil until translucent. (Use water for WFPB + Plantricious compliance).
- Stir in the turmeric and the harissa and cook a few more minutes and stir in the garlic. Saute for about 20 seconds until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook a few more minutes until wilted.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer then stir in the miso veggie broth. Taste and adjust seasonings with more tamari or a pinch of sea salt. Add the tofu and remove from heat. Allow it to absorb the flavors from the broth while you make the noodles.
Cook the Noodles:
- Meanwhile bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the ramen noodles until al dente. To be on the safe side only boil them until they start to separate from the others, just a little too long and they will be overcooked. Best to use a noodle you love and are familiar with here.
- Drain and rinse then add the noodles to the coconut broth. Serve hot garnished with fresh cilantro and lime wedges on the side. Optional: Add red chili peppers for heat.
- Ramen is a noodle soup dish of Chinese origin that is now one of the most popular dishes in Japan.
- Toppings suggestions: Scallions, Bok Choy or Spinach, Black Sesame Seeds, Red Chili Pepper, Toasted Seaweed / Nori, Steamed or roasted Broccoli, Shredded Cabbage, Sliced Sietan etc.
Calories: 631kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 26g | Sodium: 2669mg | Potassium: 645mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 812IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 175mg | Iron: 6mg
$9.99/year. No ads.