This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Silk™. All opinions are 100% mine.
Easy creamy corn chowder with potatoes and your choice of frozen or fresh corn. A savory recipe with a natural touch of sweetness and made extra lusciously creamy with a little help from plant based Silk Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative this homemade chowder is absolutely divine no matter the season!
I don’t know anyone else who loves soup season as much as I do. No matter how hot it gets in the Tropics I will have that big bowl of soup.
Please meet my newest obsession:
The Best Homemade Creamy Corn Chowder!
It’s insanely creamy, 100% plant based vegan or pure vegetarian, dairy free and gluten free. You totally need this in your life friends!
This is the secret creamy ingredient of my chowder: all of the creamy none of the moo!
Even though there is no need to whip the cream for this recipe you should know that it has great whipping functionality if you wanna use it in a dessert like Tiramisu or to perfect your pumpkin pie next fall. It is free of dairy, gluten and carrageenan and no artificial colors & flavors!
What makes a soup a chowder ?
Chowders and bisques are both thick style soups with different textures. A chowder is a thick and chunky soup while a bisque features a really smooth texture. The word “ chowder “ is of Latin origin and comes from the word “ calderia “ meaning cooking pot.
Can you freeze corn chowder ?
Soups and stews are ideal make ahead meals and because this corn chowder is made with plant based cream it can be also frozen in two easy steps:
- Allow the chowder to cool off completely before portioning into freezer proof lidded containers and freezing up to 4 months.
- Remember to thaw it out in the refrigerator the night before reheating.
How to Make Thick & Creamy Corn Chowder ?
Thanks to the potatoes and the Silk Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative this corn chowder is already thick and creamy with both smooth and chunky textures. You could however puree the entire batch until silky smooth if you prefer but there is no need to add any other thickeners like flour, corn starch or tapioca. The magic of Silk Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative is Everything!
Can I Make Corn Chowder in the Slow Cooker ?
You absolutely can go that route if you like. Add all of the ingredients except the Silk Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative and the herbs for garnish into your slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. Add the cream and cook until heated through. Puree 1/3 of the chowder then add back into the pot and combine with the rest. Easy, peasy!
What to Serve With Chowder:
I also got the chance to enjoy the new Silk Dairy Free Half & Half Alternative in my morning coffee this week while developing new recipes. Is is absolutely delicious you guys and can be fun din the creamer section of your local Walmart store so remember to pick some up next time you are there. It is dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, no cholesterol, Non-Gmo project verified, 0 grams of sugar per serving and pure deliciousness!
Creamy Corn Chowder
- 1 onion diced
- 2 lb yellow corn frozen & rinsed
- 3 cups Yukon gold potatoes small dice
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1.5 cups Silk Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch chili powder to taste
- 3 scallions thinly sliced for garnish
- 1 lime for serving
- Preheat a heavy bottom stock pot over medium heat and saute the onion and celery in a little drizzle of olive oil or a splash of veggie broth until translucent.
- Add the diced potatoes, thyme, bell pepper, corn and veggie broth and bring to a simmer. Season with a pinch of sea salt, black pepper and chili powder and cook until the potatoes and corn are cooked through and soft to your liking.
- Stir in the Silk heavy whipping cream and remove from heat. Discard the thyme sprigs and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Transfer about 1/3 of the chowder to a blender and puree until silky smooth. Add back into the pot and mix with the chunks chowder. Serve garnished with fresh chives, thyme, scallions and lemon wedges.
- Slow Cooker Method:
- Add all of the ingredients except the Silk heavy cream and the herbs for garnish into your slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. Add the cream and cook until heated through. Puree 1/3 of the chowder then add back into the pot and combine with the rest. Serve with fresh herbs and lime wedges.
- If you like your chowder super smooth feel free to puree the entire batch to your liking.
- To add a touch of smokiness I like to broil my diced red pepper and stir into the chowder at the very end. Alternatively you can add 1/2 tbsp of smoked paprika or a very little bit of liquid smoke.
- If using fresh corn you’ll need about 8 ears of yellow corn. Slice the kernels off of the cob and use as directed in the recipe.
- To add a little cheesy flavor feel free to stir in 3-4 tablespoon of nutritional yeast at the very end.
Plant Based Soups & Stews:
go premium!Love recipes, hate ads?
$9.99/year. No ads.