the Best Red Salsa Recipe
Easy and healthy, the best salsa recipe ever, ready in 5 minutes, made with sweet San Marzano tomatoes ( or the fire roasted variety) plus an authentic touch of cumin.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 28 oz canned whole San Marzano tomatoes (or fire roasted tomatoes but you will sacrifice the flavor)
- 2 scallions
- 1/2 red onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - large & grated
- 1 jalapeno pepper - sliced (to your taste)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin or to taste
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika ( or to taste)
- 1 large lime - juiced
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
Add the red onion, scallions, garlic and jalapeño to the bowl of a food processor. Give it a buzz or two until chopped.
Add the tomatoes without juices, spices and cilantro on top and pour in the lime juice.
Very carefully press the pulse button a few quick times making sure you don’t over chop the salsa. (Alternately you can chop everything by hand for a chunky version)
Transfer to a bowl and taste seasonings. Add more lime and sea salt if desired. At this point you can add the reserved tomatoes juices if you are wanting a thinner consistency. Add more smoked paprika for a deeper smokier flavor.
Calories: 62kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Sodium: 319mg | Potassium: 76mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1845IU | Vitamin C: 10.7mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 1.8mg