Healthy Vegan Puttanesca Sauce or “ Sugo alla Puttanesca ” a classic Southern Italian tomato sauce translating: “in the style of a prostitute”.
Oh Yeah: vegan puttanesca sauce without anchovies is a thing!
Yes, you can continue to enjoy your healthy pasta alla puttanesca friends!
We’ve talked about this before when I made the vegan ceviche. Fish and shellfish including anchovies get their flavor from their diet which consists mostly of sea vegetables. That’s where our sauce gets its nice stinky flavor from too. You can use the fresh variety packed in salt just make sure to rinse them well, or a good pinch of dehydrated dulse flakes. Mangia Bene!
Vegan Puttanesca Sauce
- 28 oz canned San Marzano tomatoes (whole)
- 8 cloves garlic -minced
- 1/2 onion -chopped
- 1.5 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup sea veggies, dulse flakes or crumbled seaweed (rinsed and chop the sea vegetables)
- 2 tbsp capers
- 3/4 cup black olives -sliced
- 2 tbsp dry oregano
- 1 leaf bay
- 1/4 cup Italian flat leaf parsley -roughly chopped
- 1 pinch sea salt -to taste
- 1 spash water (or a drizzle of olive oil)
- 3/4 lb pasta (for serving)
- Add the onion, garlic and red pepper flakes to a heavy bottom pot with a splash of water (or a drizzle of olive oil) over medium-low flame. Saute for a few minutes until the garlic and onion have softened taking care not to burn it.
- Add half of the capers and olives and cook another 15 seconds then add the tomatoes. Use the flat side of a wooden spoon to crush the tomatoes to your liking. Add the oregano and bay leaf and bring to a simmer.
- Partially cover the sauce with a a lid and cook for about 35 minutes until thickened and reduced to your liking. (Keep an eye on it during cooking to make sure the sugars in the tomatoes don’t burn, stir well a couple of times).
- Remove from flame and season to taste with sea salt. Stir in the remaining capers, olives, sea veggies and parsley and toss with your favorite pasta. (add more or less sea vegetables to your liking)
- Store in an airtight sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to one week.