The best vegan jackfruit tacos recipe from scratch, made with Korean BBQ sauce and a killer avocado mango salsa. Like pulled pork or carnitas but with an Asian twist and cruelty-free. Trust me, it’s a thing!
What is jackfruit and how to eat it ?
A tree in the fig and mulberry family native to Sri Lanka and India, a vegan, sustainable meat replacement with a neutral flavor and stringy consistency reminiscent of pulled pork and chicken. Why anyone would ever eat animals when we have this cruelty-free awesomeness is besides me you guys…
I would argue that the best way to eat it, is exactly like we have it right here: simmered in Korean BBQ sauce with smoky spices, then topped with a sweet and tangy fruity mango salsa. But check back with me next week for the classic carnitas version too, who knows maybe that will be the new favorite 😉
Everything goes in one pot while you whip up the salsa. No marinading required, because hello EASY LIFE is what i’m about.
Why We Love these Jackfruit Tacos:
note worthy: I suggest using this plain organic jackfruit that comes in a pouch. If you must use the canned variety make sure to purchase the plain one, drain well and rinse before cooking.
P.S. If you make this recipe, remember please come back here to rate it, snap a photo and tag us with #VeggieSociety on Instagram.
Vegan Jackfruit Tacos with Mango Salsa
The best ever vegan jackfruit tacos from scratch, made with Korean BBQ sauce and a killer avocado mango salsa.Print Recipe
- 16 oz jackfruit - ( unseasoned, drained)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Korean bbq sauce + 1/2 cup for serving
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 yellow onion -diced
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 drizzle olive oil or a splash of water
- 8 corn tortillas - organic
- Heat up a heavy pot on medium low flame and a saute the onion with a pinch of sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil (or a splash of water) until translucent. Stir in the garlic, smoked paprika, chili powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, onion and garlic powders and toss to coat well.
- Add the Jackfruit pieces, 1/2 cup of sauce and 2 cups of water. Bring to a simmer, partially cover with a lid and simmer on low flame for 45 minutes or until most of the liquid has been reduced.
- Use two forks to shred the jackfruit ( or a potato masher for speed) , then stir in the remaining sauce and remove from flame. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt If needed.
- Meanwhile prepare the salsa and keep chilled until needed.
Avocado Mango Salsa:
- Combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl and season to taste with sea salt. Add more lime juice and extra heat with red pepper flakes If desired.
- Char the tortillas to your liking and serve piled with the saucy jackfruit, extra sauce, mango avocado salsa and lime wedges.
Calories: 421kcal | Carbohydrates: 80g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 628mg | Potassium: 1158mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 38g | Vitamin A: 2145IU | Vitamin C: 60.8mg | Calcium: 140mg | Iron: 3mg
Servings: 4 people