What is jackfruit and how to eat it ?
Everything goes in one pot while you whip up the salsa. No marinading required, because hello EASY LIFE is what i’m about.
Why We Love these Jackfruit Tacos:
Vegan Jackfruit Tacos with Mango Salsa
- 16 oz jackfruit - ( unseasoned, drained)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Korean bbq sauce + 1/2 cup for serving
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 yellow onion -diced
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 drizzle olive oil or a splash of water
- 8 corn tortillas - organic
Avocado Mango Salsa
- 1 large mango - peeled and diced
- 1 large avocado - pitted and diced
- 2 scallions - chopped
- 1 lime - juiced
- 1 chili pepper - chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves - roughly chopped
- Heat up a heavy pot on medium low flame and a saute the onion with a pinch of sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil (or a splash of water) until translucent. Stir in the garlic, smoked paprika, chili powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, onion and garlic powders and toss to coat well.
- Add the Jackfruit pieces, 1/2 cup of sauce and 2 cups of water. Bring to a simmer, partially cover with a lid and simmer on low flame for 45 minutes or until most of the liquid has been reduced.
- Use two forks to shred the jackfruit ( or a potato masher for speed) , then stir in the remaining sauce and remove from flame. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt If needed.
- Meanwhile prepare the salsa and keep chilled until needed.
Avocado Mango Salsa:
- Combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl and season to taste with sea salt. Add more lime juice and extra heat with red pepper flakes If desired.
- Char the tortillas to your liking and serve piled with the saucy jackfruit, extra sauce, mango avocado salsa and lime wedges.