Savory jackfruit meat roasted together with sweet potato fries for a delicious one pan healthy veggie bake. Drizzle with a fragrant garlicky chimichurri or whip up a few sauces like our vegan queso, aioli or Tzatziki for a fantastic variation on your weeknight dinner.
What is Jackfruit Meat?
In a nutshell we are talking about the flesh of a jackfruit which has been picked while green unripe and used in savory dishes. The fruit itself grows on a tropical tree to about the size of a watermelon (see image below) but you’ll need to get the canned variety packed in water or brine (or vacuum sealed). It’s the perfect canvas and texture for savory recipes to absorb whatever seasonings and flavors you want to condiment it with. Please note that this is very different than the sweet ripe fresh or frozen fruit variety which is a deep yellow color like a mango with a strong tropical aroma.
As someone who is constantly testing recipes I like to get this vegan pantry staple in the largest size I can find it like this 6 lb can. Once opened I simply drain and divide it into 6 equal containers and freeze whatever I am not planning to use within 5 days. Smaller 14 oz cans are more practical and available at most grocery stores nowadays.
Prepping the Jackfruit
- Drain and rinse the canned jackfruit in a collander and wash off the brine, using your hand to help squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Pick through it and discard any tough seeds or seed pods you might find, if any.
- Season deeply with umami tamari and mix well giving the jackfruit time to absorb all the sauce before baking.
- Since jackfruit is very lean I added a light drizzle of olive oil for best roasting results.
To make a meal of things I like to throw some sweet potato fries into the mix. If desired you could use a waxy golden potato variety instead using the same recipe below. Normally I’ll use one large sweet potato which comes down to about one pound or so, you could use more or less depending on how much your largest sheet pan can accomodate without overcrowding things.
This umami meaty veggie bake pairs really well with the included chimichurri sauce that I made from a mix of parsley, basil and of course garlic. However, just like any “carnitas aka little meats” one might find in tacos, there are plenty of sauces that will compliment this delicious meal: think cashew queso, chive pesto, vegan aioli, Tzatziki or this creamy avocado pesto.
This dish is best served hot out of the oven to fully enjoy those crispy little bits around the edges. However the leftovers can be super delicious even cold or quickly reheated in a skillet on the stove top or microwave oven. They can be stuffed inside pita pockets as a Gyros with some Tzatziki, or pilled high on a charred tortilla for a lovely taco drizzled with all your favorite sauces, guac and salsa.
- Jackfruit Fried Chicken
- Vegan Ribs
- Jackfruit Stew
- Vegan Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Hearty Vegan Stew
- Jackfruit Carnitas.
how to make jackfruit meat with sweet potato oven fries
Jackfruit Meat with Sweet Potato Oven Fries
- Preheat your oven to 400”F.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit pieces and discard any tough seeds or seed pods you may find. Transfer to a medium size mixing bowl and toss with the tamari and a light drizzle of olive oil. Set aside.2 x 14 oz cans jackfruit, 2 Tbsp tamari
- Scrub and rinse the sweet potato and dry it well. Slice it into 1/2 inch slices and then again into fries. Place in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with the olive oil. Add the spices and toss everything to coat really well all over using your hand if needed to get great coverage.1 large sweet potato, 3 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp granulated garlic, 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1 pinch red pepper flakes, 2-3 Tbsp olive oil, black pepper to taste
- Add the seasoned jackfruit meat to the bowl with the potatoes and combine.2 x 14 oz cans jackfruit
- Transfer to the baking sheet and spread everything in a single layer. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, give everything a good shake or toss if need be and bake another 15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through soft and fluffy in the center with crispy edges.
- Meanwhile add all the chimichurri ingredients to a blender or food processor and process until combined to your liking. Adjust seasonings to taste with salt and extra lemon juice if desired.1/2 bunch flat leaf Italian parsley, 1/2 cup basil leaves, 1 lemon, 5 garlic cloves, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 tsp sea salt