What Is Olive Oil Cake ?
- A simple moist cake that uses olive oil as a main ingredient for its fat content. The perfect lemon cake for Christmas, New Year’s, Easter, Summer Garden Parties, Thanksgiving and Birthday Cakes!
- It’s really easy and quick to make in spite of the multiple steps and festive photos. I wanted to go all out with the fillings and really indulge but the cake is perfectly delicious on its own with just a sprinkling of powder sugar and a double espresso. So don’t feel like you have to go all out if you don’t want to.
How to Make Vegan Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- You’ll only need one 9 inch spring form cake pan to bake one cake from which we are going to make a two layer cake.
- Start by making your fillings a day in advance if possible. The lemon curd, cream cheese frosting and blueberry sauce all need to be chilled completely before assembling the cake.
- Bake the cake according to the easy recipe and allow it to cool off completely before slicing in half and dressing it up with all the goodies. Easy peasy!
- Lemon Curd: i use my eggless mango curd recipe as the base filling to add extra lemony flavor to the cake.
- Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting: whipped plant based cream cheese mixed with whipped coconut cream yields the most luscious frosting reminiscent of mascarpone.
- Blueberry Sauce: fresh blueberries and lemon juice are cooked down together with maple syrup and vanilla for an extra layer of berrylicious flavor. It also adds extra moisture to the cake so don’t skip it. Alternatively raspberries can be used instead of blueberries if preferred.
The Baking Time
How to Store Olive Oil Cake
- This cake can be kept at room temperature for a few days before adding the fillings and frosting.
- Once filled the cake is best stored covered in the fridge for up to one week. Because of the cream cheese frosting and blueberry sauce I don’t recommend keeping it at room temperature for more than a couple of hours once assembled.
- It can also be frozen plain if desired without adding any of the fillings.
This Vegan Lemon Cake Is Divine:
Vegan Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- 2.5 cups all purpose flour sifted
- 1.5 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1.5 cup coconut milk full fat
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeeze
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 batch vegan lemon curd
Lemon Blueberry Sauce:
- 1/2 lb blueberries
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Layer:
- 3/4 lb vegan cream cheese
- 1.5 cup whipped coconut cream stiff
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup edible flowers
- 1 lb fresh blackberries
- Prepare the lemon curd in advance and refrigerate until needed. This step can be done a couple of days in advance.
- Combine the blueberries, lemon juice, vanilla and maple syrup in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until the blueberries start to burst, a couple of minutes or so. Remove from heat, allow to cool and refrigerate until needed.
Make the Cream Cheese Filling
- Use a mixer with a whisk attachment to whip the cream cheese on medium low speed until soft and creamy.
- Using a spatula fold the whipped coconut cream into the whipped cream cheese until combined. Make sure to not over mix. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while you make the cake.
Bake the Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350”F.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, lemon zest and sea salt.
- In another bowl whisk the olive oil, coconut milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Pour on top of the dry ingredients and using a spatula fold just until combined. Do not overmix as that will result in a dense cake.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan and line with parchment paper. Place on a baking sheet.
- Pour the cake batter inside the cake pan and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake to a cooling rack and allow to cool off completely. Once cooled remove the cake from the springform pan by releasing the sides first, then remove the bottom. (this step should be really easy specially if you lined the bottom with parchment paper).
Assemble the Layer Cake
- Use a serrated knife and very carefully slice a thin layer off of the top of the cake to remove the crust and expose the soft center.
- Proceed with care and now slice the cake in half as to have two circles. Place the bottom part on a plate or cake stand, whatever you want to serve your cake on.
- Spread the lemon curd on top of the bottom layer of the cake. Spoon half of the cream cheese filling on top followed by half of the blueberry sauce and a few fresh blackberries.
- Add the second cake layer and cover with the remaining of the blueberry sauce. Top with the remainder of the whipped cream cheese mix and use the back of a spatula to spread it around as best as you can.
- Sprinkle the top of the case with the fresh blackberries reserving some to decorate the sides of the cake.
- Garnish with edible flower blossoms and chill for a couple of hours before serving.
- The best ever vegan lemon cake with olive oil, lemon curd, cream cheese frosting, lemon blueberry sauce and fresh blackberries.
- this cake is is also absolutely delicious with just a sprinkling of powder sugar on top.
- alternatively you can skip all the fillings and frosting and cover the cake with a simple lemon glaze made with 1 cup powdered sugar + 1/4 cup cashew milk + 1 tbsp lemon juice. Whisk until smooth and pour over the cake once it has cooled down completely.