Creamy Corn Chowder
Easy creamy corn chowder with potatoes and your choice of frozen or fresh corn. A savory recipe with a natural touch of sweetness and made extra lusciously creamy with a little help from Silk plant based whipping cream alternative this homemade chowder is absolutely divine no matter the season!
Servings 8 people
- 1 onion diced
- 2 lb yellow corn frozen & rinsed
- 3 cups Yukon gold potatoes small dice
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1.5 cups Silk Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch chili powder to taste
- 3 scallions thinly sliced for garnish
- 1 lime for serving
Preheat a heavy bottom stock pot over medium heat and saute the onion and celery in a little drizzle of olive oil or a splash of veggie broth until translucent.
Add the diced potatoes, thyme, bell pepper, corn and veggie broth and bring to a simmer. Season with a pinch of sea salt, black pepper and chili powder and cook until the potatoes and corn are cooked through and soft to your liking.
Stir in the Silk heavy whipping cream and remove from heat. Discard the thyme sprigs and adjust seasonings to taste.
Transfer about 1/3 of the chowder to a blender and puree until silky smooth. Add back into the pot and mix with the chunks chowder. Serve garnished with fresh chives, thyme, scallions and lemon wedges.
Slow Cooker Method:
Add all of the ingredients except the Silk heavy cream and the herbs for garnish into your slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. Add the cream and cook until heated through. Puree 1/3 of the chowder then add back into the pot and combine with the rest. Serve with fresh herbs and lime wedges.
- If you like your chowder super smooth feel free to puree the entire batch to your liking.
- To add a touch of smokiness I like to broil my diced red pepper and stir into the chowder at the very end. Alternatively you can add 1/2 tbsp of smoked paprika or a very little bit of liquid smoke.
- If using fresh corn you’ll need about 8 ears of yellow corn. Slice the kernels off of the cob and use as directed in the recipe.
- To add a little cheesy flavor feel free to stir in 3-4 tablespoon of nutritional yeast at the very end.
Calories: 579kcal | Carbohydrates: 97g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 607mg | Potassium: 802mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 883IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 7mg