Eggy vegan frittata with chickpea flour, broccoli, bell peppers and greens. Quick and easy to make, protein loaded, egg-free, dairy-free and good for you. It makes for a hearty breakfast, brunch or dinner with stove topped oven baked method included.
Servings 4 people
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 onion diced or sliced
- 1 bunch baby bok choy chopped
- 3 strips of smoky tempeh (chopped + optional)
- the Batter
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup cashew milk water (or any plain plant milk you like)
- 1 tsp kala namak sulphur salt
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dijon mustard optional
- Add ins: 1/3 cup vegan feta Violife, plant based smoked gouda or homemade cashew ricotta.
Preheat a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat and sear the smoky tempeh until golden. Use a spoon and transfer to a bowl and set a side.
Add a light drizzle of olive oil to the skillet (or veggie stock for WFPB Plantricious compliance) and sautee the onion with a pinch of salt until softened and starts to get some color.
Add the broccoli florets, bell pepper and tougher parts of the bok choy. Cook until it al dente or soft to your liking.
Meanwhile combine all the batter ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Alternatively you can use a whisk and do it by hand.
Pour the batter over the sautéed veggies, sprinkle with the tempeh and if using the vegan feta cheese. Continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes until you see the sides starting to set.
At this point you can transfer the frittata under the broiler for anther 2 to 3 minutes until the top is golden to your liking and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Alternatively you can carefully flip the frittata in the pan and cook another 2-3 minutes just like you would a pancake.
How to Make a Frittata Quiche
Start by baking a pie crust ahead of time (i use a frozen crust and follow package directions). Sautee the veggies, add them to the cooked pie crust then pour the chickpea frittata batter on top. Sprinkle with the tempeh and vegan feta cheese and bake in a preheated 375”F oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
- Storage: If you happen to have any leftovers they can be stored in the refrigerator in a lidded container for up to 5 days. Reheats well in the toaster oven or the microwave for about a minute or so.
- Can I make this Frittata as a Quiche ? Absolutely! Make sure to bake a whole wheat pie crust ahead of time. Sautee the veggies, add them to the pie crust then pour the chickpea frittata batter on top. Bake in a preheated 375”F oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
Calories: 157kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 102mg | Potassium: 430mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2330IU | Vitamin C: 72mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 2mg