A traditional dish from South America that goes by a few names: ” ceviche, cebiche and sebiche”. It was made by marinading raw fish in citrus juice and spiced with the usual suspects: onion, cilantro, tomato and spicy chili. Pretty much what i did when we made our now famous tomato and hearts of palm ceviche. if you haven’t tried that one yet you totally should.
Lately I’ve been making this mango avocado version. It’s really nice with chips, tostadas or spooned into lettuce boats or tacos. I honestly can’t even choose a favorite because they are both insanely OMG delicious that we always end up fighting over the last bite.
- Avocado, adds luscious creaminess and helps create an oil-free dressing.
- Red Mango brings tropical flair and sweetness to the dish.
- Hearts of Palm provide us with the perfect seafood-like texture but without any of the cruelty and toxins.
- Red Onion + Cilantro or Basil to bring the savory and sweet together.
- Lime for zest, it brightens the dish and helps all the flavors pop.
- Chile Pepper for those of us who like to keep life spicy.
- Dulse flakes or crumbled nori for the ultimate fishy flavor that is clean, sustainable and good for you!
how to make vegan ceviche / come hacer ceviche:
- Chop up the mango, avocado, hearts of palm, onion and herbs and add them to a large bowl.
- Squeeze in the limes and season to taste with sea salt and dulse flakes.
- Toss well and enjoy with your favorite chips.
Even though this recipe contains avocado it can still be prepared up to one day in advance thanks to the generous lime dressing that keeps it from oxidizing. Store in a lidded glass bowl layered with thin slices of lime or lemon over the top. Do not freeze!
As always please let me know if you give this a try, come back here to rate, snap a photo and tag me with #VeggieSociety on Instagram, it always makes my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
Vegan Ceviche with Mango and Avocado
- 14 oz can hearts of palm
- 1 hass avocado
- 1 red mango
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 limes
- 1 pinch dulse flakes or nori seaweed
- 1 red chili for heat chopped (optional)
- sea salt to taste
- Drain the hearts of palm and chop them up into small bite site pieces.
- Peel both the mango and avocado and dice them into similar size pieces with the hearts of palm. Discard the pith.
- Add all the ceviche ingredients to a mixing bowl and squeeze in the lime. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve chilled.