Vegan Mushroom Lettuce Wraps for Hot Summer Days!
the best lettuce for wraps:
the mushroom lettuce wraps filling:
I’m all about wrapping as much produce as possible in lettuce leaves right now but if you wanted to you could spoon this mushroom filling into some street tacos and call it a good day.
Brown button mushrooms work great here and are easy to find, for a special treat I’d swap them with sliced up shiitakes or enoki mushrooms if available. And if you just don’t fancy mushrooms as much as I do just get creative and use other things.
vegan lettuce wraps ideas:
what to do with the leftovers:
- Store the filling in a glass container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Toss with rice noodles, pasta or serve over brown rice with fresh salsa.
can i make soy free lettuce wraps ?
Absolutely! All you need to do is replace the tamari sauce in the recipe with coco aminos and you’ve got a divine soy free sauce.
Vegan Mushroom Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- 24 oz brown button mushrooms diced
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup peanuts chopped for garnish
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 head of lettuce green leaf or butter lettuce
- the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup tamari sauce gluten free
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar or lime juice
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup to taste
- 1 tsp ground ginger or 1 inch grated ginger root
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 1 grated garlic clove
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a splash of water, veggie stock or white wine and add the chopped mushrooms. Hit it with a small pinch of sea salt and saute the mushrooms until wilted and all liquid has evaporated. The mushrooms will start searing at this point, they should be perfect so remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the tamari with the peanut butter, vinegar, maple, ginger and garlic powder. Season to taste with the red pepper flakes and add more vinegar or lime if desired.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked mushrooms and toss to coat well.
- Rinse the lettuce leaves and fill with a good scoop pf the mushroom mixture. Serve with the chopped peanuts garnished with the scallions, cilantro and sesame seeds. Offer lime wedges on the side.