Please meet my new favorite pantry staple: the soy curls!
A magical ingredient with meaty texture and neutral flavor so it can absorb any flavor you’d like to give it. A clean protein substitute in any chicken or meat dish without any of the cruelty. The future is here you guys! But we already knew that since this jackfruit stew right ?!
Are Soy Curls Healthy ?
How to Make Soy Curls Stew:
- Prepare the soy curls: rehydrate them in a large bowl in very hot water for about 15 minutes. They will triple in size so make sure to give them enough room to do so.
- Sautee aromatics with vegetables and spices: onion, carrot, celery, bell peppers and mushrooms, lots of paprika, bay leaves and potatoes.
- Mix in the rehydrated soy curls and veggie stock and simmer everything together until hearty and tender. Add fresh tomatoes and herbs and thicken with ground flax before serving with crusty bread. Follow the recipe below for full ingredients list and instructions.
Enjoy This Vegetable Soy Curls Stew:
WFPB Vegan & oil free.
Soy Curls Recipes I’m Testing Now:
- Soy Curls Carnitas Tacos
- Vegan “Chicken” and Dumplings
- Stir Fry Fajitas
- Vegan “Beef“ and Broccoli Soy Curls
- Incorporating in my Vegan Alfredo Cream Sauce
- Quesadillas & Potstickers.
Where to Buy Soy Curls:
Vegetable Soy Curls Stew
- 8 oz soy curls non-GMO
- 2 lb golden potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 cup mushrooms diced (optional)
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes diced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 rib celery diced
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp paprika sweet or smoked
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 cups low sodium veggie stock or filtered water
- 4 cups filtered water HOT
- 3 leaves bay
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley roughly chopped
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl combine the soy curls and hot water and allow to soak for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat a heavy bottom stock pot over medium heat and sauté the onion with a pinch of sea salt and a splash of water until translucent. Stir in the carrot and celery and cook a few more minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Add more water if needed as not to allow the onion to burn.
- Add the mushrooms if using (totally optional) together with the bell pepper, chili flakes, bay leaves, garlic powder and paprika. Toss everything to coat well and cook another minute or so until fragrant.
- Add in the potatoes with the veggie stock and the soaked soy curls. (The soy curls should have absorbed most of the liquid by now)
- Bring the stew to a simmer and stir in the nutritional yeast. Cook for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through and the soy curls are nice and tender. Remove from heat and stir in the fresh tomatoes, parsley and ground flax. Adjust seasonings to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Allow the stew to sit covered for about 15 minutes before serving for the flavors to marry and to thicken up from the flax seeds. If you want to serve this as a soup juts omit the ground flax or add a little more veggie stock to thin it out.