Why we love this vegan chickpea tuna salad ? It’s:
P.S. If you make this recipe please let us know in the comments below, snap a photo and tag it with #VeggieSociety on Instagram.
How to Make Vegan Tuna Salad:
Vegan Tuna Salad with Chickpeas & Avocado
Vegan “ no tuna " salad recipe with mashed chickpeas, creamy avocado, scallions and lime. No mayo ever!
- 15 oz canned chickpeas
- 1 avocado - extra large
- 1 scallion - chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro - roughly chopped
- 1 lime - juiced
- 1/2 red chili pepper - chopped (to taste)
- 2 tbsp fresh onion chives - snipped
- 1 pinch sea salt - more or less to your taste
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds or cherry tomatoes - for garnish (optional)
- 2 tsp capers, dulse / kelp flakes or seaweed (optional)
Drain the chickpeas and reserve some of the water.
In the bowl of a small food processor chop the chickpeas with a little bit of the reserved water if needed until a rustic texture is achieved. Keep in mind that you don’t want a smoothie, so use the pulse button when doing this.
Transfer to a medium mixing bowl together with the scallions, lime juice, chili pepper and cilantro. Give it a good stir.
Slice the avocado in half, discard the pit and carefully scoop the flesh out. Add it to the bowl with the chickpeas and season with the sea salt. Combine well. Taste and add more lime juice or sea salt to your taste.
Serve as a dip or make a faux tuna salad sandwich with your favorite whole-grain bread and fresh herbs.
- The dulse / kelp flakes are only necessary If you are after a deep oceany seafood like flavor.