This Hearts of Palm Ceviche is It!
To achieve that classic seafood ceviche flavor you can mix in a pinch of dulse flakes or crumbled seaweed. If you can find those fresh sea vegetables packed in salt please use them, they truly provide that undeniable seafood flavor.
note worthy: hearts of palm are literally the heart of a palm tree, reminiscent in taste of artichokes. They pick up flavor well which makes them the perfect candidate for our ceviche. They are a good source of plant protein, potassium, fiber, and vitamins C, B6 and riboflavin.
watch how to make it:
Hearts of Palm Vegan Ceviche
- 15 oz hearts of palm (jarred or canned)
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes chopped (cherry or heirlooms are the best)
- 2 scallions or 1/4 red onion -finely chopped
- 1 lime or lemon -juiced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro -roughly chopped
- 1 green chili pepper or habanero -finely chopped, or to taste
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
- 2 tsp cold pressed flax seed oil (Optional)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes -for extra heat
- 1 tbsp sea vegetables (seaweed or dulse flakes) (Optional)
- Drain the hearts of palm and discard the liquid. Chop or slice them into small pieces.
- Add the chopped hearts of palm to a medium salad bowl together with the diced tomatoes, scallions (or red onion), chili pepper, lime juice, flax oil (optional) and sea vegetables if using. Toss to coat well and season to taste with sea salt. Gently fold in the fresh cilantro and adjust seasonings with more lime juice and sea salt. Serve with your favorite chips and extra red pepper flakes If you want it extra spicy.
- To make this recipe WFPB & Plantricious compliant make sure to omit the oil.
- I updated the recipe to include some sea vegetables for those of us who prefer a fishy ceviche. Remember to rinse them well as they come packed in salt.
- For a Mango Avocado ceviche variation just replace the tomatoes with 1 diced mango + 1 diced avocado. Keep the rest of the ingredients the same and adjust seasonings to taste with fresh lime and sea salt.
$9.99/year. No ads.
We really love d this recipe with crumbled seaweed on top that gave it a fishy taste. Another keeper I’ll make again on Sunday.
Hello! I made this last Monday, didn’t have dulse but still was an amazing first time ceviche for us! I made vegan quesadillas with mushrooms and spinach and the ceviche on the side with tortilla chips, my husband is not vegan BUT he loved it so much! Thanks for lovely recipe!!
That sounds so delicious, beyond happy you guys loved it ~ Florentina Xo’s
So good! I ate it with tortilla chips and added crushed seaweed to it.